State of Vermont Population, Facts and Symbols
Known as the Green Mountain State, Vermont is the only New England state not touching the Atlantic Ocean and the second least populated state in America. Vermont was the 14th state in America and is the leading maple syrup producer in the country. Ask us about Vermont or share comments. To feature your Vermont business, contact us.
2006 Vermont Population
Courtesy of the US Census Bureau
- Vermont Population: 623,908
- Population percent change – April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2006: 2.5%
- Foreign-born VT Population: 3.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher over age 25: 29.4%
- 2004 Median Household Income: $44,548
2005 Vermont Demographics
- Persons under 5 years old: 5.3%
- Persons under 18 yesars old: 21.4%
- Persons 65 years & older: 13.3%
- Females: 50.8%
- Caucasians: 96.7%
- African Americans: 0.7%
- Hispanics: 1.1%
- American Indians & Alaskan Natives: 0.4%
- Asians: 1.1%
- Native Hawaiians & other Pacific Islanders: *
Vermont Land Area
- Land Area in Vermont: 9,249.56 (square miles)
- Persons per square mile: 65.8
Vermont State Facts
- VT State Nickname: The Green Mountain State
- VT State Motto: Freedom and Unity
- VT State Bird: Hermit Thrush
- VT State Flower: Red Clover
- VT State Tree: Sugar Maple
Purchase VT Maple Products online.
- VT State Mammal: Morgan Horse
For more information about Morgan horses, click here.
- VT State Amphibian: Northern Leopard Frog
- VT State Reptile: Painted Turtle
- VT State Gemstone: Grossular Garnet
- VT State Song: “These Green Mountains”
Purchase this song and other Vermont songs, click here.
- VT Cold Water Fish: Brook Trout
- VT Warm Water Fish: Walleye Pike
For more Vermont fishing information, click here.
Vermont Sports Teams
- Number of NCAA Teams: 4
- Minor League Baseball : Burlington Expos
The Vermont State Flag
More information about Vermont towns and cities.
Vermont was admitted to the United States on March 4, 1791.
Vermont has many excellent colleges and universities and several fine museums, art galleries, historic sites, and attractions. The Vermont state motto is “Freedom and Unity”. For information about Vermont weather including current weather conditions, click here.