In Bandstand Park there are weekly concerts all summer long. Several festivals are also held here every summer. Every August, Lyndon is home to the Caledonia County Fair.
Points of further interest are Lyndon State College, Cobleigh Public Library, and The Lyndon Outing Club.
Lyndonville is home to the Caledonia County Airport, and local manufacturers include: Greenfield Industries, Vermont Aerospace, NAS Industries, Newport Plastics, Vermont Flexible Tubing, and of course Lyndon's world famous 'Bag Balm'.
Lyndon Through the Years
Lyndonville is Vermont's only railroad-built community. It was constructed in 1866 to serve as a major railroad center in the region for passenger and freight traffic. Two buildings from 1866 remain, reminders of the towns railroading past. The homes around Bandstand Park in Lyndonville were originally built for railroad officials.
The town of Lyndon had already been organized 75 years before Lyndonville was built. In 1791, the same year Vermont became a state, Lyndon's first town meeting was held.
Lyndon Institute is one of four independent, privately endowed schools in the state. It serves as the designated high school for Lyndon and surrounding towns. Lyndon State College is a four-year liberal arts school that began as a one-year normal school.
In the late 1800s, Theodore N. Vail, the first president of the American Telephone & Telegraph Company, built a mansion and agricultural estate overlooking the town as a retreat from industrial life. That location is now the site of Lyndon State College.
In 1906, East Burke Vermont native Elmer Darling, built a mansion on a ridge north of Lyndonville, the area that now features the Wildflower Inn and the Inn at Mountain View Farm. Darling made his fortune running the prestigious Madison Avenue Hotel in New York City. The Darling mansion is privately owned today. The brick building that once was his creamery is now the fabulous Inn at Mountain View Farm.
Bag Balm, an internationally known Vermont product used for softening chapped, dry hands, is still made in Lyndonville by the Dairy Association. The Dairy Association founded the business in 1889. The Lyndon Outing Club is the one remaining volunteer-run ski hills in the state. The Fenton Chester Arena features hockey tournaments for schools in the region, figure-skating exhibitions and an annual spring home and recreation show.
Lyndon has had a town band since 1865. The oldest public building in town is the Lyndon Town House in Lyndon Center, which was built in 1809. Today it houses historical exhibits. It is concurrently being leased by Lyndon Institute to serve as a dance and music studio, a component of its Cultural Arts Center.
Behind the Town House, the Lyndon Center Cemetery has a Revolutionary War monument. Nearby is the Shores Museum, a Queen Anne-style working man's residence willed to the town by Dr. Venila Shores, whose father built the homestead in 1896.
Three handsome bronze statues, replicas of Italian Renaissance art, are outstanding landmarks. Commissioned in Italy and bequeathed to his home town by Civil War veteran Luther B. Harris are two Donatello lions and a Florentine wild boar fountain (affectionately referred to as "the puking pig"), it is a copy of the sculpture by Pietro Tacca.
Lyndon has a town meeting form of government with elected selectmen and an appointed municipal assistant.
- special thanks to the Lyndon Historical Society
Lyndon, VT Weather
(roll over for details)