The town of Brandon, situated on the banks of the Neshobe River, is located on Route 7 about half-way between Middlebury and Rutland, making it a favorite stop with travelers. The village has a traditional town green with many examples of fine architecture along its broad avenues.
Brandon, Vermont was chartered on October 20, 1761 by the Governor of New Hampshire. The original name was Neshobe, after the home of one of the original grantees of the town, Captain Josiah Powers.
The name's Algonquin meaning, "between water" or "full of water," is somewhat applicable to the town because of the Otter Creek and Neshobe River which flow through the town along with other ponds and streams. Early settlers however, petitioned the legislature to change the name, and in 1784 the name Brandon was taken.
Stephen A. Douglas was born in Brandon. Thomas Davenport was living in the Brandon village of Forest Dale when he patented the electric motor he had invented. James Conant manufactured the first stoves made in Vermont here which were cast of iron from Brandon. The "Conant Furnace" is now a stove collector's favorite. The stove was made of iron mined in Brandon and was the first cooking stove made in the state.