The theatre was built in 1912 & 1913 by George T. Chaffee. The Theatre opened on January 16, 1914. The classical style exterior architecture reflected the "City Beautiful" movement of the time, while the interior took on the look of a Victorian opera house.
The theatre provided seating for 1000 patrons in the orchestra, balcony, and 6 boxes flanking the proscenium arch.
Performers traveling via the Rutland Railroad between Montreal and Boston, would stop to perform in The Playhouse. Minstrel shows, grand and light opera, and vaudeville, delighted Vermonters and visitor alike. Call the Paramount Theatre for more information about current performances.